💬 Review Saltburn by Lunaria324

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,328,860 happy users since 2014.
Register

Lunaria324

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Saltburn

It is a very interpretive film, definitely the type of film that you should see knowing as little as possible to enjoy it, or hate it, because I have seen many people understood the story differently, some found it a terrible story and others found it a very good one I would rather not spoil much, but Oliver quick is invited to a state named Saltburn by his friend Felix, and there, well, a lot of stuff happens.

Review:
Saltburn in a psychological thriller and comedy, written and produced by pregnant Barbie Emerald Fennell, with Barry Keoghan, Jacob Elordi, Rosamund Pike, Richard E. Grant, Alison Oliver and Archie Madekwe as main characters.

Oliver Quick is the protagonist, the story begins when he arrives at Oxford University in 2006, there he has a hard time making friends but he meets Felix after he helps him with an accident he had with his bicycle, the two start going out to parties and spending time together, Oliver begins to be interested in Felix romantically, but it remains a nice friendship until Felix invites him to spend the summer at his house, Saltburn, Oliver is going through personal things so he doesn't want to go to his place and his friend decides to help him, when Oliver arrives in Saltburn he meets Felix's eccentric family, the truth is that the interactions with them are very funny, then between one thing and another the story takes a complete turn and that is why is better to not know much about this part.

The acting was actually very good, they are all wonderful actors, the cinematography definitely has a different style than what we are used to, strange angles, constant symbolism, out of focus images, strange cuts, but, some very artistic and really beautiful scenes, the story really tries to give that feeling that it's a 2006 movie.

The music is very nostalgic, they use great hits from the time that many grew up with, or went out to party with , so it generates familiarity and nostalgia, especially for people who lived a similar experience about that time, which makes sense because Emerald basically based a lot of the environment of the movie on his own experience when she went to university.

The clothes, the accessories, all of that did a great job of transporting us to the past during the duration of this story, the only thing that for some has not been the best, is the writing.
It's not that the way it is written is bad, or at least I don't see it that way after having seen the film enough times to know the dialogues, but the first impression is often that the ending is very rushed and many scenes are only there to surprise and shock rather than to give meaning to the plot. After watching it many times you begin to see the symbolism and interpret why things happened in one way or another, but since the film is told in a way that tries to hide something, many times the plot can seem very rushed unless you really focus on what is happening around you and start connecting everything, but for this reason many will see this film as something wonderful, and others as something absurd and weak. I also feel the movie was promoted in a way that the plot will remain a secret, so a lot of people go into the movie expecting one thing and come out disappointed because it doesn't live up to that expectation. For example, there were people who thought it was a romance between Oliver and Felix, others expected an eat the rich story, others expected a midsummer style story with rituals and spooky things... Etc. So what expectation you go in with can also make you enjoy the movie more or less, what I recommend is simply go watch the movie without thinking too much, don't look for information, just watch it and you'll see if you like it or hate it when you finish it, but I can assure you one thing, it is not boring.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, I would recommend it if you are the type of person who likes to analyze something a lot, the fun in my opinion is in trying to see beyond it, trying to understand what is happening, many people missed details that made them enjoy the movie less, but I want to invite you all to really immerse yourself in this movie, you don't have to love it, you can totally hate it, but watch it for fun because it definitely has something innovative compared to other actual works of similar genres.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐