How to grow Onion at home?

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,327,452 happy users since 2014.
Register

Tempestive

In Love Lv4️⃣
Green Thumb
Member for 4 years
What do you mean by "at home"? I assume you don't have access to soil,

If you're thinking of doing it in a pot, I'd advise against.
Do you have a terrace? Solar exposure?

MoepMoep

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 2 years
If you have a balkony or a terrace with with very good exposure to sun light you can grow onions from onion sets in big/deep pots without many problems. Onions need a medium amount of water (put your finger 4 cm deep into the soil, if it's dry down there it's time for good watering), but you still need a good drainage (I use simple medium gravel) in your pot so excess water can run out. Onions don't like to have "wet feet".
If you want to grew onions from seeds I can't really say if that would work in pots. It would take two vegetation periods in my country to get from seed to onion set to store those sets during winter inside the house to replanting them next spring to finished onion. Too much fuss, so I never tried it. But you seem to live in Peru. Depending on the climate your vegetation period might be long enugh to get it done in one go. Could be worth a try if that's the case, since seeds are usually cheaper than onion sets.

However, I don't think this would work inside a house/flat because there wouldn't be enough sun light. You can grow potatoes inside though.