Replace thank you spam posts with thanks button for dl access

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,903 happy users since 2014.
Register

Status
Not open for further replies.

s810car

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 7 years
Had a good convo with @Axiom @ImanHackeR in chat this morning regarding the 'Must hit reply to see link" setup this forum has. I'm gonna preface this with I am merely suggesting this for the cleanliness and readability of the site, as I hardly download anything, but I like browsing the forum for interesting comments.

The problem with that is examples like this: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4485 , 94 posts, THREE actually are important posts for the modder to address. Obviously he did so thats not an issue, however try weeding through all the "thanks want to try this" or "gimme gimme" you get the idea. The forum itself has over a 10:1 posts to thread ratio, and if the % of quality posts are similar to every thread (about 3.5-4%), you MAYBE have about 700 out of over 20,000 posts that are even worth reading. I could also see this being horrible for modders, I def wouldn't want to subscribe to a thread i start to try to maintain a mod if all im having to keep checking is 'ty' posts?

Solution? Go to a 'Hit thanks to reveal links' instead. The link would serve the exact same purpose (tracking hits/dls, making people have to register to download) without all the clutter of useless posts that show no sincerity to their thanks, in fact youll be able to see more appreciation in the posts after this kind of change, they would be genuinely wanting to post a real thanks vs just posting to d/l. Modders would appreciate the change as well, being able to easily keep track of posts needing support and not have to remove subs to their own mods to avoid spam notifications.

So anyways thats my 2 cents on the topic, what do you all think?

Axiom

G̴̠͂l̶̙̋ȉ̷̲t̷̰͂c̶̮͊ȟ̶̪ê̵͙d̷̰̿ ̴͉̈Ơ̵̟u̵̮̕t̵̼̊
From the Hell
SB Mod Squad ⭐
VIP
Member for 8 years
Even though I'm a moderator now, and really not even 24 hours yet, as a member and modder myself, I agree and think this would be an excellent change. I don't usually sub to my post because most aren't things I need to address, like @s810car said, it's mostly just thanks and gimme gimme, not really "Hey I need help this isn't working on my device" or "You uploaded the wrong file, there is nothing in it" and stuff like that.

Doe John

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 7 years
do not even need that thank you button, just need to make some changes like on the other sites, instead of the link you can only see "you need to login to see the link" but once you in, everything is visible for everything

jimevz

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 7 years
it also stops outdated posts being bumped to the top because someone commented thanks to see the download link

s810car

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 7 years
Doe John » Yesterday, 22:23"]do not even need that thank you button, just need to make some changes like on the other sites, instead of the link you can only see "you need to login to see the link" but once you in, everything is visible for everything
While i agree, when i first suggested this in chat the reason i was told they use this method is for better tracking of who downloads for various reasons, so while a login to download is nicer, the thanks button is the best compromise to satisfy the sites needs without the pointless posts

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
This theorically would be a good implementation, unfortunately I can't at the moment implement this. We had this in the past and people abused the game releases section by quoting the topic or by leaving a thank you and then removing it in order to "trick" the system. Also, it would be a lot harder for me to track who downloaded and when, in case of leeching, making it longer and harder for me to detect the leecher. It's not our fault if users do not get the importance of giving a feedback and not just replying for downloading. I even added a month ago a line in my signature stating that it would be nice if users could at least give a feedback saying if it works fine or not, but they still don't do it cause they're lazy, and to be honest, if I have to "make them happy with their laziness" by simplyfing even more their download process, well, I'm against it. There are many users not deserving to get a game, seeing that 80% of them NEVER comply with rules andme and all the staff need to moderate their posts because they don't even read forum rules..

s810car

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 7 years
We had this in the past and people abused the game releases section by quoting the topic or by leaving a thank you and then removing it in order to "trick" the system. Also, it would be a lot harder for me to track who downloaded and when, in case of leeching, making it longer and harder for me to detect the leecher.
As an ex-website admin and my own coder at a very similar XAMP/php +(insert sql type database here) style of forum (mine was vBulletin 4.x), I can assure you scripting a prevention of those abuses is probably as simple as disabling a permission in the appropriate forum via control panel for removing thanks or quoting in that forum if needed. If there isn't a way it wouldn't take but a minute to mimic the sites permission manager to create those permissions. As far as tracking, unless you added extra data to insert into database during a post, a thank you ticker should conceivably give the same info, or easily copy it with a simple sql like "select member.* thanksbox.* from tables where member.id = thanksbox.id", something similar to that
It's not our fault if users do not get the importance of giving a feedback and not just replying for downloading. ....if I have to "make them happy with their laziness" by simplyfing even more their download process, well, I'm against it.
To me it was never about simplifying, it was about not annoying the members (esp th emodders of said game) with the spam posts, it actually benefits the people with bug reports and the modders more than anyone else, and if it was about making it harder to download, well you do offer sbenny cash for posting, they could always have to "buy" the unlock link with quality posts outside the modding forum :D lol

cissamannen

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
VIP
✔ Approved Releaser
Member for 8 years
A thank you OR reply option would be great :)
Then people can decide really, and in case cookies bug out from the thank you button for downloading later, a simple reply can fix it =p
Another way could be just "report problem with mod" and the creator of the topic can get the PM for it or however =p

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
Update!

Partially agreed with this change, I introduced the Mention system, so hackers can be notified if someone mention their usernames. See here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5495

Attachments

s810car

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 7 years
and the mention upgrade combined with the filter forum posts upgrade satisfies the two major issues i had so id consider this request solved, sneaky way to sidestep this but it works :p

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
Awesome! Mark this topic as solved by replacing its topic attribute and I'll proceed with locking it, if it's ok for you ;)

s810car

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 7 years
heh didn't know permissions were set to be able to change topic tags lol done

Status
Not open for further replies.