What is Server Side Excatly?

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,973 happy users since 2014.
Register

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfPuppy

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 7 years
I understand that it can making hacking ex termly difficult if a game or app is server side. I don't understand exactly how that works though. Is it a security problem? How does it prevent fake transactions to get gems,cash,gold etc difficult or impossible? Why do some games have it and other do not? Will it ever be possible to conquer it?

s810car

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 7 years
Server side games are basically apps that keep only some of the logic on the phone (mostly gui controls, assets too large to stream from an external source, etc. and the main(sensitive) code like hard currency, user info and the like on their own webserver.The reason its so difficult is you aren't just hacking static code on your phone, its dynamic code usually connected to a database, usually a minimum of ssl protection encryption, not to mention the higher illegality of attacking a webserver to deter a modder. As far as fake transactions, Google makes it simple to a webserver to confirm a receipt of a purchase direct contact without your phones involvement. Its one thing to MITM requests between your phone and the app, its another to even attempt to highjack a curl request from one host to another when you arent either party.

Now reality is anything is hackable with enough time, patience, and know how. Question is, is it worth the effort and personal liability to someone to mod the game, that may see an update making the mod useless? (Another side effect of being server side, easy to push unwanted updates) If they feel so, you'll see it modded. More often then not though, the answer is no so thats the reason most you never see a mod for, or so drop off after one or two updates

WolfPuppy

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 7 years
That was very informative thank you. Is there a reason why some games have it and others do not? I've seen some games with garbage security and I can never determine if it's difficult to implement or costs a lot of money or something entirely different.

s810car

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 7 years
Mostly cost vs benefit factors as far as security, as for why server side in general? the simplest answer is enable social interaction, such as pvp, MMOs, leaderboard/stepladders, etc. this also adds a lot of the costs to the game so the companies make the most sensible (in their eyes) amount of security to keep in budget, while protecting direct income flow (IAPs) and indirect income(such as building a loyal user base confident in a cheat-free experience, therefore giving ad revenues and exponentially increasing the popularity).

There is a LOT of cost ivolved with proper security, so yea A-List games will be more likely to have hard to crack security.

WolfPuppy

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 7 years
That makes sense. It makes me wonder why curtain games such as some mmos that have a lot of cashers have garbage security, but are on guard against transaction abuse and abuse with in game purchases.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
Status
Not open for further replies.