HOW TO HACK SOME ONLINE GAME USING CHARLES PROXY

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,257 happy users since 2014.
Register

Infamous

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 7 years
REQUIREMENTS:

1. CHARLES
2. SOME BRAIN

From their website:
About Charles

Charles is a web proxy (HTTP Proxy / HTTP Monitor) that runs on your own computer. Your web browser (or any other Internet application) is then configured to access the Internet through Charles, and Charles is then able to record and display for you all of the data that is sent and received.

In Web and Internet development you are unable to see what is being sent and received between your web browser / client and the server. Without this visibility it is difficult and time-consuming to determine exactly where the fault is. Charles makes it easy to see what is happening, so you can quickly diagnose and fix problems.
Simply translated, this program allows you to see the "hidden" communication between your browser and the target server.
"Big Deal I can get that information off Firefox/Chrome etc. already"
Well the key difference is how the information is displayed and what you can do with it. Looking at a few of the key features:
SSL Proxying – view SSL requests and responses in plain text
AJAX debugging – view XML and JSON requests and responses as a tree or as text
Repeat requests to test back-end changes
Edit requests to test different inputs
(Only partial list of key features, the ones that we will put to use)
As you can see, this will allow us to not only read and understand the severs response from a HTTPS game server (or most web pages using SSL), its able to easily modify requests sent to the server as a MITM application.

Ok Let's get started, for this PoC hack I will be using a completely unedited game from the Play store, Prince Billy Bob (Playstore Link: Game. Lastly, the Android phone I have the game installed on normally, which will have to be run on wifi to connect to the proxy computer.

1st Step: Setup Charles
Install Charles following its standard direction, if you can't get that far without needing more detailed help, please exit stage right
Start up the program and setup the SSL web proxy. Here's how (DISCLAIMER: I have seen a few different versions of the toolbars in Charles, here is my version, just find the same information if you have a diff version):
Go to Proxy > Proxy Settings
In the Proxies tab enter "8888" in the HTTP Proxy Port field
In same window, Go to SSL tab
Check enable SSL and ensure under locations, it has a checkbox with * next to it and the checkbox is checked. Example:
Check your computer's ipv4 address, if on the same LAN with your computer use the internal ip address before the router, should start with 192.168... or 10.0... assuming standard LAN setup. save this number for later. If not on the LAN with the computer, get on it (or setup an external proxy which is beyond the scope of this tutorial, as LAN setup will allow SSL responses in plaintext, you'll have to figure out your proper configuration to use an external proxy).
Lastly, prep your two SSL certificates. Go to Help > Install Charles CA SSL Certificate. You are going to install on both your PC, and your android. PC installation easy, simply hit Install Certificate and let it select its certificate store, save and done. Next for Android, after hitting the menu item Install Charles CA SSL Certificate, choose the details tab, then copy to file. Save as a DER encoded binary X.509 (CER file) name it whatever and after choosing its destination, send it to your android phone via usb, wifi, sd card, NFC, bluetooth, aliens, IDGAF just send it onto your phone then use any decent file explorer to select and install it.
Alright leave Charles open and now setup the target phone
2nd Step: Setup Android
(if not already done) Install the game from Play store link above (or Gapps/sideload obv fine, just stating the point that the game itself remains untouched with this method, no version conflict to worry about, achievements are available, etc.)
Change your LAN wifi settings. I believe its pretty universal among android versions on how to do this. Go to Settings >Wifi. Long press your network name, and select modify network.. Check the advanced options. Change Proxy settings to manual, scroll down the menu to proxy hostname, change to the LAN ipv4 address you saved from your PC. change proxy port to 8888 to match your settings above. You can leave the rest of the settings alone. Scroll back up and enter wifi password so you can save settings.
Provided you did all that correctly, you should now be set. Test by going on Charles to verify the button that looks like a white circle with a smaller red circle is depressed, then going on your browser on your phone and search something on google, or go to homepage, etc. The second you tap any of those on your phone, Charles should come to life, populating its structure/sequence windows with all sorts of neat data.

All right you're all setup. Next post I'll have up shortly to detail what kind of details you want to focus on, how to get the server to throw you a bone to work with and not just Facebook tracking data, etc. Lastly I'll show my specific exploit I used for Billy Bob .

Now back to how to do the hack.

1. Start Billy Bob game. Its going to load up a bunch of folders and info that if you try to figure out where anything useful is you may get lost, so sit tight and let the game start, load up google plus, etc. once its all done and it looks like Charles is done loading new folders constantly, we are going to
2. Stop the recording session (press white/red button). This info is mostly useless unless you want to dig for app api keys, hashes, fun stuff for more complex hacks, but this is a beginners tut to show the benefits of Charles at all levels. Personally I saved this session before I clear it for study later, but you may either save it or just clear it, its not needed for this hack.
3. Now that Charles is clear, restart the recording session. With all the junk out the way, its more likely to only call the server based on your input, thus easier to track what you want. So here is what i did. I started looking for things that you do that trigger a call to the games main server. Things to try include checking daily rewards, in app purchases, buying premium items in game using premium in game currency(read: currency they expect you to pay real money to get any decent quantity), or as I found for my example, the cloud save sent to "billybobglob...oogle_game/save" . This one was the jackpot which game me completely clear (thanks to Charles SSL credentials) JSON string the developer used in this save. Heres the string you can find by checking the request we sent to the server, easiest to read in Form view, it will look a lot like this

Code:
{
"_platform": "android",
"_userid": //CUT FOR OBVIOUS REASONS//
"_email":
"_savever": 1,
"_savedata": "{\n \"k_rst\": \"12,13,4,13,14,3\",\n \"k_opq\": \"1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,1,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,1,1,0\",\n \"k_ess\": \"4\",\n \"k_est\": \"0,0,0,0,0,0\",\n \"k_ese\": \"5,6,10,0,0,0\",\n \"k_ab\": \"100716052702143602370037750986878757\",\n \"k_bc\": \"2647561\",\n \"k_cd\": \"351\",\n \"k_cf\": \"5\",\n \"k_de\": \"720\",\n \"k_ef\": \"4\",\n \"k_gh\": \"45\",\n \"k_hi\": \"2\",\n \"k_fg\": \"400,45,250,375,25,80,10,200,7,5,5,1,0,0,0,0\",\n \"k_rs\": \"10,15,10,11,10\",\n \"k_rq\": \"1,1,0,0,0\",\n \"k_ij\": \"1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,10,12,0,0,0\",\n \"k_jk\": \"25\",\n \"k_qa\": \"7\",\n \"k_qb\": \"233\",\n \"k_qc\": \"1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0\",\n \"k_lm\": \"1026\",\n \"k_mn\": \"0\",\n \"k_no\": \"0\",\n \"k_pq\": \"1086\",\n \"k_mno\": \"0\",\n \"k_tqb\": \"0\",\n \"k_teb\": \"880\",\n \"d_high_stage\": \"1542\",\n \"d_total_stage\": \"16125\",\n \"d_revival\": \"35\",\n \"k_wx3\": \"4535983604716846964197\",\n \"k_yz\": false,\n \"package\": 0,\n \"package2\": 0,\n \"dlpackage\": 0,\n \"dlpackage2\": 0,\n \"tuto1\": 1,\n \"COMIC_SHOW\": \"1,1,1,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,1,0,0,0,\"\n}"
}
Doesn't look like much up front, but you'll notice a lot of number match your details, for simplicity sake, heres a easy translation for most the variables, haven't played with all of them yet
Code:
{
\"k_rst\": \"2,2,7,2,2,1\",\n
\"k_opq\": \"1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0\",\n
\"k_ess\": \"4\",\n
\"k_est\": \"0,0,0,0,0,0\",\n
\"k_ese\": \"1,0,0,0,0,0\",\n
\"k_ab\": \"332903624298023419112611376864000000000\",\n \\CASH\\
\"k_bc\": \"490000\",\n \\KEYS\\
\"k_cd\": \"50009\",\n \\GEMS\\
\"k_cf\": \"700\",\n \\DEVILS COINS\\
\"k_de\": \"348\",\n \\FLOOR\\
\"k_ef\": \"1\",\n
\"k_gh\": \"38\",\n
\"k_hi\": \"1\",\n
\"k_fg\": \"300,45,175,359,25,80,10,182,5,0,2,0,0,0,0,0\",\n \\TREASURES ORDER 1. RING OF GREAT POWER 2. AMULET OF SHARP VIGOR 3. BLADES OF GALE
4. GOLDEN EAGLE STATUE 5. CLOAK OF AGILITY 6. MERCHANTS MASK 7. RING OF SPEED 8. GOLD CRYSTAL 9. GOLDEN KEY 10. TWINKLING KEYCHAIN 11. ELEC KEY 12. CROSS OF GREAT POWER 13-16 NEW ITEMS\\
\"k_rs\": \"7,1,2,1,1\",\n \\PET LEVELS ORDERED TOP - BOTTOM\\
\"k_rq\": \"0,0,0,0,0\",\n \\ BOOLEAN FOR EVOLVED PETS\\
\"k_ij\": \"2,2,2,1,1,1,1,1,3,3,5,6,3,4,1,14,2,11,24,23,0,0,0,0,0\",\n \\QUEST LEVELS FROM TOP TO BOTTOM \\
\"k_jk\": \"25\",\n
\"k_qa\": \"5\",\n \\BILLY BOBS 'X'TH DUNGEON K_QA = X
\"k_qb\": \"121\",\n \\MONSTERS BEATEN IN DUNGEON
\"k_qc\": \"1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0\",\n \\ BOOLEAN FOR IS DUNGEON QUEST BEATEN FROM TOP-BOTTOM \\[/i][/b]
\"k_lm\": \"0\",\n \\ SEC LEFT FOR RAGE \\
\"k_mn\": \"0\",\n \\ SEC LEFT \\
\"k_no\": \"0\",\n
\"k_pq\": \"0\",\n \\ SEC LEFT FOR SHOES OF SPEED
\"k_mno\": \"999\",\n
\"k_tqb\": \"391\",\n
\"k_teb\": \"866\",\n
\"d_high_stage\": \"1107\",\n
\"d_total_stage\": \"14216\",\n
\"d_revival\": \"34\",\n
\"k_wx3\": \"1099699462946045\",\n
\"k_yz\": false,\n
\"package\": 0,\n
\"package2\": 0,\n
\"dlpackage\": 0,\n
\"dlpackage2\": 0,\n
\"tuto1\": 1,\n
\"COMIC_SHOW\": \"1,1,1,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,\"\n
So in conclusion what I decided to do, was alter the numbers being VERY carefulk not to delete any delimiters like ,\": etc (in a file editor was easier for me to c/p but you can edit charles inline) and resend the save request with the altered numbers from Charles. You wont get a confirmation about your svae from that, but its ok, once you get a 200 response from the server, you can hit load game from the app directly, and it will load the numbers you put in.

Play around with it to see what you can do, and dont forget to go into your android wifi setting to disable the proxy when done or you wont be able to use the network properly unless your PC is on, etc. Charles stops when shut down so no need to do anything there.

SynodSystems

Hardcore Lv9️⃣
Member for 8 years
An ok guide, i work with charles for about 2 years, wen i get some time il make an video tutorial how to hack/mod server sided gamr curnecys, like facebook games, any browser games etc, but its an good guide, but for beginners abit hard to folow, as you only gave 1 game example, as for other online games the values and folder are different.

s810car

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 7 years
An ok guide, i work with charles for about 2 years, wen i get some time il make an video tutorial how to hack/mod server sided gamr curnecys, like facebook games, any browser games etc, but its an good guide, but for beginners abit hard to folow, as you only gave 1 game example, as for other online games the values and folder are different.
Well part of the reason is this tutorial is a copy of mine I posted at another site, taken before I added the pics to help beginners ;) Yea it was more of a POC hack to show aspiring modders how to look for data, every single game gonna have different folders/things available to do (ex this was modding by injecting a false save, others may be resource pulling that aren't on local apk, or modifying buying something in the game with in-game currency etc.) and most have a higher difficulty, such as actually using their own self signed cert you need to get on your proxy, or other obfuscation.

To OP: do me a favor and if ya gonna post on any other sites, at least fix my spelling errors (still can't believe I spelled carefulk and have to see that on multiple sites now smh), oh and credit is always nice lol

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
Well part of the reason is this tutorial is a copy of mine I posted at another site, taken before I added the pics to help beginners ;) Yea it was more of a POC hack to show aspiring modders how to look for data, every single game gonna have different folders/things available to do (ex this was modding by injecting a false save, others may be resource pulling that aren't on local apk, or modifying buying something in the game with in-game currency etc.) and most have a higher difficulty, such as actually using their own self signed cert you need to get on your proxy, or other obfuscation.

To OP: do me a favor and if ya gonna post on any other sites, at least fix my spelling errors (still can't believe I spelled carefulk and have to see that on multiple sites now smh), oh and credit is always nice lol
Hope we'll find some cool guides written by you here, rather than waiting for others to copy & paste things :p

Attachments

s810car

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 7 years
Lol working on it, vacation time over so gotta make time :/

cissamannen

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
VIP
✔ Approved Releaser
Member for 8 years
@Infamous There isnt really any "guide" here on how to send back the response :p
I tried on some games, but I only see the command sent, and its results. I cannot alter results and send it back. All I can do is repeat the GET process to see same result. Theres 2 windows. Upper one containing code sent etc, and lower one for the response. The lower one cant be altered, and I cant Compose a new one to alter something either D:

s810car

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 7 years
@Infamous There isnt really any "guide" here on how to send back the response :p
I tried on some games, but I only see the command sent, and its results. I cannot alter results and send it back. All I can do is repeat the GET process to see same result. Theres 2 windows. Upper one containing code sent etc, and lower one for the response. The lower one cant be altered, and I cant Compose a new one to alter something either D:
Well I'm actually the OP for this, just on a diff site lol

What you need to do is a save to cloud on the game, then c/p the data into a text editor. Change the values you desire then c/p over the original data you copied, then resend the save request via charles instead of the game. When you load the game from the cloud in the app next time the
changes will take effect.

Angelzz

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 6 years

WOW i cant believe it for the first time ever im reading and i quote “ ill make a video tutorial how to hack/mod server sided game currency” (y)

Every time ive tried finding information online or asked any one who knows how to mod the answer is its not possible, or its possible but as soon as u exit game or as soon as u begin playing after modding the changes revert back to what the server has linked to your account.. so basically not ever possible.. :(

Now your telling me u know how to do it and u can do it? Legened u are if its true! :clap:

Im going to check every day and wait for this tutorial from u.. i cant wait!! ;)

So exciting..
<3